Monday, March 26, 2012

Who is this woman and how does she know?

Current members of my Facebook page have been sharing it to help spread the word and I was thinking that a lot of you don't know who I am.  Some of you may even be asking, "Why is she doing this?"  So here is a little background on me to help you see where I am coming from.

It is amazing how life is starting to get so busy. I have my son, my home, and my pets to care for. My job takes up 8.5 hrs of my day. I wish could win the lottery so it can support my son's nasty habit of wanting to eat at least 3 times a day. I joke. My job is great. It is rewarding and I get to work with the greatest group of guys and a few gals sprinkled in.

For most people that would be enough. Not for me. No, I decided I needed to create a Facebook page, Running a Healthy, Mind, Body, & Soul . The page brings motivation, new recipes, healthy modifications to recipes, advice, tips and resources which are all focused on living a healthy lifestyle. I try to also include some of my goofy personality. The page even has a book club group with the same name. Our first book is "We need to talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. It sounds like an exciting read.  I can't wait to get started. I like to read but the books have to really be good to keep my attention or I will put it down and never pick it up again.

How did this all come about? In July 2011 a high school friend of mine asked me to run a Half Marathon with her. I said, "Sure!" In that moment all suspicions were confirmed that I was certifiable. What was I thinking? I had never seriously run a day in my life except to pass The President's Physical Fitness Test.  My BFF would say it's because I'm stubborn and impulsive.  She, in part, she is right. The impulsive part, sure, initially but that would not have kept me on task.  The stubbornness? Yes, it has been handed down from my Grandma to my Mom, to me and finally to my Son. For better or worse, we are stubborn people. However, I feel there is a deeper reason. The stubborn trait does help me but I believe it is my deepest desire to live life to the fullest is what keeps me going.

So began my journey into the unknown. I trained and trained well for the Half. I changed my diet, ran every other day and mixed in strength training. When October came around I was sidelined and couldn't run the race but by then it was too late. I was hooked. I got orthodics and slowly began training again.  Here we are in March 2012 and I have run three 5k's since November. With each race I see my speed increasing, the recovery time decreasing and my confidence soaring through the roof. I am currently training to run my first Half Marathon this May. 

I have always loved learning about health and nutrition but I did not fully appreciate its importance until I was using it to compliment my training.  So when people kept asking how I lost my weight and had questions about training I knew I had to find a way to reach as many people as possible. I needed to help them reach their goals. A Facebook Page seemed like the best way to do just that. I have tried to keep it an upbeat place to go for information, healthy recipes and motivation.  I encourage members to post their experiences, tips for things that work for them and to ask any questions they may have.

Let me not forget the Moms RUN This Town running club chapter I started. It is a free nationwide running club for women.  We run together. We support, encourage and motivate one another in the spirit of love for the sport and sisterhood.  To date there are only 4 members of the Norwalk, CT Chapter but I know we will grow rapidly.  Go to www.momsrunthistown.com to find your local chapter.

I hope this has helped fill you in on who I am and what I am trying to do.  I hope to see you on Facebook and as a subscriber to this blog.  I look forward to being your biggest cheerleader.


No comments:

Post a Comment