Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Vacation Day 1: Biking in Farmington

Today was the first official day of my vacation, whoohoo!!  My son and I drove the 1.5 hrs from our home to enjoy a day of biking in Farmington.  We completed the Farmington River Trail (24 miles RT) and rode 16  miles (RT) on the Farmington Canal Heritage Trail which continues up into Massachusetts (about 22 miles from where we started).
The trails are very well maintained.  Some local artists even got together and painted this overpass.
The pictures don't do it justice.  Farmington is located in the middle of Connecticut.  The area was very industrial back in the day.  The tracks have been replaced with pavement but the buildings that received deliveries via train are still standing.
The area has so much proud history that they even have a museum.  We didn't go inside this trip but it is an the list for the next one.  We also found a watersports shop located right on the trail where we can rent kayaks for the day. How cool is that?!
It is a simple thing but I think one of the coolest part of the trail, for David and me, was this railroad trestel.  To actual go over a structure that was used by the trains helped bring the history to life.  Railways helped to build this country so to have a little part of it around for us to see is great.
Isn't my Bubah a cutie?!?! It's not a great shot of him but I have to be quick.  He's 13 and hates me taking his pic.  Maybe because I plaster them on Facebook all the time he'll get over it one day?!

Time for me to head to bed.  We have a fun filled day planned for tomorrow.  I'm starting think I am going to need a vacation to recover from my vacation.  Goodnight all!

Happy biking Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment