Sunday, September 23, 2012

Allstate 13.1 Marathon - Boston recap

Last weekend my family and I set out for a weekend in Boston.  Our main purpose of the trip was for me to run in the Allstate 13.1 Marathon - Boston but we purchased tickets for a trolley tour of historic sites, harbor cruise and admission to a museum.  When we arrived to the hotel we were told that the room wasn't available so we couldn't drop Rocky so we could tour. We were all bummed but we still had a good time. We have already made plans to go back before the Spring to use the tickets.
After David and I took a swim in the pool/hot tub we hung out in the room. These two look quite comfortable, don't ya think?  We ordered take out from Ninety-Nine.  It was ok.  Nothing to write home about.  Then it was early to bed.  As usual it was hard for me to get to sleep because I was so excited about the race.
 The race had an early 7am start so when we arrived it was still dark.  We were a little confused as to where we should go.  The start/finish was at the Suffolk Downs Race Track but there were no signs posted nor did they mention in an email that the building would be open for use.  I was pleased to see that there were a boat load of port-a-potties. Once inside we were also allowed to use the restrooms.  Thank goodness we had the building because I am afraid of the dark it was COLD!! Hellllloooo Fall!!

A big thank you to the United States Marine Corp for presenting the colors during our National Anthem. 

I haven't had a race since June to test my progress.  We had a very humid Summer that kicked my butt. I expected to run around a 10 min/mi at best.  My plan was to do the best I could, listen to my body and not rely on my watch. I knew that the other runners would pull me along as well as my race day adrenaline so I needed to be careful to pace myself so I didn't hit the wall halfway through.  
 This is around mile 12.  I couldn't believe that I felt so good.  I read that if you train in the heat and humidity that it would payoff in the Fall but I really didn't know what to expect. The course was beautiful.  All but 4 miles of it was on a road that overlooks the ocean.  What a great way to keep distracted when your mind wants to quit. I just looked over my shoulder to watch and listen the waves.  It never fails to help my mind wander.
I finished strong @ 2:06 and an 18 min PR!!!! Woohoo!!
Give Your Sole was there accepting donations of used sneakers for a local charity.
 Allstate even provided massages after the race.  As much as I have been wanting to get a massage I can't get myself to get one after a race. Not only am I sweaty and stinky I feel bad subjecting those poor people to touching me in that condition. YUCK!!!
We even had a kick a** cover band to rock out! Oh, what is up with the free beer after races? What about Cosmos for those of us that do drink beer? ;)

All in all it was a fun race and I think I will do it again next year.  I have already signed up for their New York race in March 2013.

Next up, Runner's World Half & Festival in October.  It will be interesting to see what I finish with there.  The course is hilly and I will be running in their 10k the day before.

Do you get a massage post-race?
Do you drink beer after and does it help you to recover faster?
Do you train in the heat/humidity?
What improvements in your fitness have you seen because if it?
 
Happy Running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment